Jennifer Lawrence

Like?

• Yes

Votes: 6,868 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 314 4.4%

• Total voters

Geardagas

You're right that the movie mother! isn't doing well finacially but it's clearly not Lawrence's fault. Every review says it's so artsy, prententious, and/or gross that it just alienates audiences. I don't like her as an actress but it's hardly her fault for those factors. And her other films have done well, even the crappy Passengers. Blacklondonchap is right.
Completely ignoring the fact that she told 32 million and growing people to boycott her movie and that the hurricanes were Trump's fault.

All her movies that aren't existing commodities like x-men and hunger games bomb. Her other films haven't done well at all, actually. Passengers was a flop.

PeterW

Completely ignoring the fact that she told 32 million and growing people to boycott her movie and that the hurricanes were Trump's fault.

All her movies that aren't existing commodities like x-men and hunger games bomb. Her other films haven't done well at all, actually. Passengers was a flop.
And her movies are still doing well after that publicity. Makes her a bad decision maker but not box office cancer. Passengers had a worldwide total gross of $303.1 million, against a production budget of $110 million. How is that a flop in any way?

Geardagas

We got to see her boobs again. Who give a shit about anything else.
Same boobs you saw clearly in the light though so does it really matter? Her leaks were infinitely better than the movie
And her movies are still doing well after that publicity. Makes her a bad decision maker but not box office cancer. Passengers had a worldwide total gross of $303.1 million, against a production budget of $110 million. How is that a flop in any way?
not sure I should still be going on about this but what the hell, there's no leaks to speak of atm.

Passengers made less than its production budget domestically (100m), and that is where the money is made. International business has very low return on the dollar due to being taxed in both countries, having to advertise all over again, and paying all kinds of international fees and licenses.

Also 'production budget' leaves out a hell of a lot of figures. It doesn't include the aforementioned advertisement costs, taxes or fees, nor does it include most of the actors pay because they make most of their money on a percentage of ticket sales. It's not like you can just take the global box office and subtract the production budget and get the profits.

Some numbers:

Hunger games (before Jlaw was an asshole): 450m domestic, 400m international

Passengers (Jlaw becoming an asshole): 100m domestic, 200m international

Mother (Jlaw has gone full retard): roflmao everywhere

It's almost as if her box office draw is inversely proportional to her unimaginable stupidity.

PeterW

not sure I should still be going on about this but what the hell, there's no leaks to speak of atm.

Passengers made less than its production budget domestically (100m), and that is where the money is made. International business has very low return on the dollar due to being taxed in both countries, having to advertise all over again, and paying all kinds of international fees and licenses.

Also 'production budget' leaves out a hell of a lot of figures. It doesn't include the aforementioned advertisement costs, taxes or fees, nor does it include most of the actors pay because they make most of their money on a percentage of ticket sales. It's not like you can just take the global box office and subtract the production budget and get the profits.

You're partially correct but you're highly exaggerating the returns of the international market.
The fees and licenses are barely anything for the budget as it already is included in the most of the cinema conglomerate deals.
I agree it's not as simple as taking one number and comparing to the next, but when it's nearly made back it's money domestically and doubled it internationally it's safe to say it wasn't a flop. You're really stretching believe of the financials.
Your idea that stars payment is taken as a percentage is also highly speculative as that's only occurred in some special cases (e.g. Downey Jr for Avengers and some older films) where as most stars still take on an agreed one-off payment. And the production budget does not indeed include all the advertising fees, but it does contribute to a sizable chunk and for a small film like Passengers it wouldn't be that much.

By your estimations, every film in Hollywood is a flop.

12gone

Idk they advertised the shit out of Passengers. Literally can't remember a more advertised movie in the last few years. Thought it did better.
Really? In the last few years you can't possibly think of a movie that was advertised harder? I hadn't even heard of this movie until now.

Geardagas

By your estimations, every film in Hollywood is a flop.
Not even close. I compared the domestic and international box office of three movies for this reason alone.

Most movies make more or just about the same domestically as internationally. Take a movie with a similar budget and look at the total box office and it can surpass a billion us dollars.

Passengers didn't make its money back domestically and was halved by its international revenue. No matter how you look at it that is a bad thing from a producers standpoint.

I should have set that it was a flop domestically and left it at that, because it proves my point: half the country is sick of assholes like Jlaw and the pretentious, out of touch Hollywood crowd in general. Hollywood is having its worst year in several decades and Sony pictures is tanking.

ianmac

Remem
Box office cancer? Fucking idiot

Box office cancer is an exaggeration, but she's definitely not the star at the box office that people thought she was. Passengers, Mother!, Serena and Joy all disappointed, and she was the focal point of the marketing in all four.